Sunday, October 9, 2011

Protective Goggles... Helpful or Harmful?

This story brings me back to my days in playing field hockey in high school. When I was in 8th grade (my HS 7-12) this rule came into effect, wearing goggles at all times during field hockey. The article Going Deep: Opinions evenly split on the value of goggles in field hockey refers to the debate that is still going on about whether the goggles are helpful, or add more danger to the game.


This is what a typical field hockey player would wear to a game. When I was in high school, we wore actual goggles with plastic instead of a cage. However, during or hot days, they often fogged, sometimes making it difficult to play. Those type of goggles still exist and are used at the USA field hockey level.

This article goes on to describe how the National Federation of High Schools has made it a mandate as of April that goggles must be wore at all times during field hockey. This rule is something that Massachusetts players have been following for years. This has caused a lot of outrage in the field hockey community because eye injuries do not occur at a high enough rate to warrant the goggles. At the same time, the medical community is applauding the effort because the eye injuries that are caused by field hockey can be catastrophic.

According to this article a study was done by Dr. Dawn Comstock, and this study claims that 25% of injuries in the sport of field hockey are an eye or facial injury. Field hockey balls travel at high speeds and it takes one deflection or high hit to cause injuries. These goggles do protect the athletes eyes and give a sense of safety to the athletes.

However, in the article it also states that this study was done on a very small scale and another study done by the Catastrophic Sports Injury Research Center in North Carolina found that over 25 years, there were only 2 catastrophic eye injuries recorded. Goggles also reduce the peripheral vision of the athletes and can lead to more collisions as well as not being able to react as quick to a high ball or stick. Coaches have also reported that since this rule has been in effect, more collisions have occured. The reason being is the athletes feel a sense of protection with the goggles and are more likely to make bodily contact. Some high school coaches have reported a high er number of collisions than they have ever seen. There is also the issue that goggles can cause more serious injuries. When two players collided previously, heads may bump and lead to concussions. With the goggles present that might turn into a more serious situation with head and facial lacerations from the goggles.

Cris Maloney a field hockey referee in New Jersey set up a website GoggleInjury.com less than 2 weeks ago. Already there are 39 total incidents reported and only 1 incident claimed that goggles prevented severe injury while 34 caused or exacerbated the injury.

I have to admit I am torn about this article. One athlete with a catastrophic eye injury is one too many, but how many are getting injured because of the goggles. Either way people are getting hurt and obviously that it something to avoid. I have some bias as well because I was a field hockey player in high school. I played for 6 years and the goggles were just there, I never saw them help or hurt someone. However, I do understand how hard it is to play with them and I have to admit that there seems to be an increased amount of injuries as a direct result.

What do you think?




4 comments:

  1. I agree, this is a difficult issue. Athletes should feel safe, but when does the feeling of being untouchable lead to more aggressive play? It seems a little extreme to pass an equipment requirement like this when the data doesn't support that it is preventative in overall injuries. Perhaps there is a better design that could be used that improves visibility while still protecting the eye. Most of all, I think coaches and ATs need to reinforce that protective eyewear should not lead to more aggressive play.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeanine - I agree with what both you and Becca have commented on. My concern, in addition to the lack of evidence in the form of data, is that it appears the eye gear is causing a decrease in peripheral vision; thereby causing athletes not to see the entire field of vision. Further, the suggestion is that this is the reason why people are being injured. Certainly, more data is needed to support both of these thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very interesting topic. I believe that the googles actually help the players prevent injury. I have seen a girl get hit in the face with the goggles on and they really prevented a more serious injury from occurring. If the players do believe or feel as though the googles are hindering their performance, then manufactures should take the time to try and find a new design. I believe in what Dr. Sue is saying, that if there is no actual numerical evidence to support this claim, that taking the googles out of the sport of field hockey, could lead to a disastrous situation for the field hockey player. Hopefully more research can be done to see the effects of googles on field hockey play, but also more research should be done to look into a more efficient design to help increase the peripheral vision of the athletes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First thing is I will state that I do not know much about the game of field hockey and I have not been around the game that much. My only exposure is a clinical rotation covering field hockey at Bridgewater. With that being said, I can definately understand how such devices can restrict peripheral vision (played football my whole life and helmets do restrict that), and this sounds like it can cause serious damage. But in being with FH, I did see the girls practice drills everyday where they were taught to keep their heads up while dribbling or atleast not staring at the ground all the time. Also, while not in possession of the ball (as in football I assume) you have been or should be taught to keep your head on a swivel to see where everyone else is around you (am I wrong?). I bring this up because as people who played the game, do you think the injuries are because of the goggles themselves or a change in playing style with advancing equipment (football is the best example of changing playing style due to changes in a equipment and reckless abandonment with their bodies).

    I raise these questions because I have never played the game and I really am curious as at some other point in my life I will probably be covering field hockey again. If certain techniques aren't taught about keeping your head up (i know you have to look down to dribble) especially when you are off the ball, should they be emphasized?

    Good article

    ReplyDelete